Developers and website owners must be aware of the state of malware statistics. According to Security Magazine, in 2019, every 39 seconds a website is hacked or attacked through malware. And McAfee shows that hackers develop 300,000 new malware systems daily.
Is your WordPress site infected by malware? If yes or you would like to prevent any malware injections, below we will present you with the 7 very best WordPress malware removal plugins.
We’ve created this list based on how are the plugins effective in malware removal from your WordPress.
Many of these plugins have a lot of other security features that could be used as prevention from your site being hacked.
If you don’t find a solution, be free to contact our team professionals for one time WordPress help who will resolve your problem in the shortest period of time.
Best WordPress Malware Removal Plugins
MalCare is a security plugin that protects WordPress users from malware and detects online threats often missed by other plugins.
MalCare is easy to install and has virtually no learning curve. The setup is automatic and operation is as easy as a click of a button – the plugin itself will do everything for you.
- The standout feature of MalCare is the “Cloud Scan”, a unique malware scanner that scans your website on its own, separate servers. That means your website won’t slow down during the scanning process. This fully automated system can clean even the most complex malware in less than a minute.
- The inbuilt Firewall provides real-time protection against hackers and bots, by utilizing a large collection of connected websites. It’s able to detect unknown and hard to find hacks, which are often undetected by standard security plugins. Finally, this tool does this job without changing your website and with no downtime, so you can rest assured knowing that your website is in safe hands.
You can scan your website whenever you want, but MalCare will also automatically do it for you every 24 hours. All scans and results are tracked. You can see them in a section called “hacked files” which allows you to clean them individually or all simultaneously with the One-click Cleaner. MalCare support deserves praise too – they are quick to respond and you can reach them through chat and email on the official website, and through a forum on their WordPress plugin page.
Customer reviews for this plugin are generally positive. However, some reported that the free version doesn’t work well. Though it did find infected files, they had to sign up for the premium service to clean them. Therefore, this plugin may not be a good pick for those looking for a free service.
However, if you’re serious about your online business, MalCare is a good investment that will keep your website safe and give you peace of mind.
Deemed as the best WordPress Plugin in the world by some people, Wordfence is the most popular WordPress security plugin having more than one million active installs. This shows that people prefer to use this one over others.
Wordfence comes with a wide arrange of features including:
- Advanced firewall settings. Wordfence goes beyond the basic firewall functionality. Its premium versions comes with country blocking. This means that if your site is getting many attacks from a certain region, Wordfence allows you to block that country completely and redirect the traffic to another site. Also, if the firewall analyzes that there is someone trying to harm your site, it will block that IP.
- Useful tools. One of these tools is the password audit available for premium users. With it, the plugin will be checking how effective are the passwords on your site. Also, it helps you create strong passwords impossible to decipher. The way Wordfence analyzes your current site’s passwords is by simulating a hacking attempt to see if they can be spotted. Thus, after having seen which are, you can use the strong password generation tool to prevent your site from being hacked.
- WHOIS lookup. With it, you can see who is trying to access your site and where by checking out their IP addresses and domains.
- Cellphone Sing-in. This tool gives your site a two-factor authentication which will provide it with even more security.
- Diagnostics. It contains information about your server system, database, and WordPress setup among others.
Although it is rated 4.8 stars in the WordPress plugin review sites for this specific plugin, some users have reported a poor customer service. Also, it is not that high on the scale when it comes to ease of use. Nevertheless, for the price you will be paying, you will be getting one of the best WordPress plugins available in the market today.
If you’re worried about hackers bringing down your WordPress website, then you need the Sucuri Security plugin. It offers tools to monitor a website in case of any security leaks or loopholes. This brings us to the question, is Sucuri worth it?
Here is an unbiased review of the Sucuri Security plugin.
- Website security monitoring. Sucuri automatically scans your WordPress website to ensure it’s free from malware and other suspicious activity. You are notified if there’re changes to your files.
- Security notifications. Users can customize how often they want to receive notifications from all their activities. The plugin offers different methods of communication – SMS, Twitter, RSS, email and IMs.
- Effective security hardening. The plugin removes vulnerabilities like protecting the upload directory and removing the WordPress directory.
- Check hidden admin accounts. In most cases, a hacker creates an admin account. Sucuri can list the last logins, failed attempts, and admin accounts. Once you fix all the hack issues, you can use your WordPress configuration key.
- User-friendliness. While this plugin comes with a default configuration, you can access everything you need from the default menu. You can run the manual scan and audit log statistics stress-free.
- Great customer support (24/7). The support staff replies to customer queries within an hour. And because the plugin uses a support ticketing system, you can track the status of all support requests. The customers are always informed about the current security threats.
One thing that is missing on this plugin is the firewall. But it’s understandable because firewalls are Sucuri’s flagship product. If you run a WordPress website, investing in this extra layer of security is important.
For those who don’t know what it is, iThemes Security, formerly known as Better WP Security, is a WordPress security plugin and its sole purpose is to fix common security holes, stop automated attacking scripts, and strengthen credentials and security for WordPress websites.
After installation iThemes Security runs 10 point security check of your website to ensure that the best and recommended security settings are applied or to your site. You can also customize individual security settings from the iThemes Security dashboard. iThemes Security also has a support feature backed up by a team of WordPress security experts to help you with any security issues and answer your questions.
One of the most astonishing things is the fact that most of the pro features of iThemes Security Pro are in the free version as well, such as 404 and exploit detection, IP blacklisting, backups and database syncing, brute force detection, password configuration and slating, file modification detection, SSL configuration and much more. If you, however, are willing to buy a pro version, you’ll also get features such as Two Factor Authentication, Malware scanning, version management, etc.
The only 2 drawbacks with iThemes Security are the complexity and the high price. The huge amount of features easily overcomplicate things, especially for beginners. And the starting price for the pro features starts from $80 per year, which is a lot if you’re just starting out.
iThemes Security has a very active developer base and is updated frequently. The latest update was just 4 weeks from the date of this article. With an average review rating of 4.7 stars on the WordPress plugins market, iThemes Security is one of the best, if not, the best security plugin you can find.
Quttera Web Malware Scanner
The Quttera WordPress Malware Scanner plugin scans and studies possible malware, viruses or other threats that may be on your website. Besides, the plugin will offer you a web application firewall, blacklist verification, and other essential tools for a safe and reliable website to protect your users and your business. This malicious content detection process will not affect in any way the content or format of the website or blog.
These are the main features offered by Quttera Web Malware Scanner:
- One-Click Scan
- Unknown Malware Detection
- External Links Detection
- Blacklist Status
- No Signatures or Patterns Updates
- Artificial Intelligence Scan Engine
- Cloud Technology
- Detailed Investigation Report
- Investigation of WordPress files
- Detection of files infected by PHP malware
- Detection of injected PHP shells
According to the reviews and user comments, in general, it is a useful and effective plugin although some users find some drawbacks. The average rating of this plugin is 3.9 out of 5 so it seems convincing. Some users claim that it has been very useful and the program has found all the malicious content very quickly, but on the other hand, some users have written comments such as “Avoid using – due to false positives” or “It Just block your website after an internal scan.” Although I repeat, most of the comments are positive so it can be some isolated cases.
In short, if you want your page to be safe from possible threats and you don’t want to suffer if your content is stolen, this plugin is a good option for you.
Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall
The Anti-Malware Security and Brute-Force Firewall WordPress plugin is always recommended for security and protection purposes. With a 4.9 star rating on the WordPress plugin review site and over 200,000 downloads, the numbers speak for themselves.
This malware removal plugin will help you get rid of those attacks coming from known and unknown sources intended to harm your site. The purpose of malware is to steal your information and share it with other parties. On top of that, a system that has been infected with malware will perform worse than one that it is not and will, therefore, present problems such as low speed, and the display of unwanted messages among other things.
- It comes with updates to help you be protected against new threats hackers may already have or invent in the future
- You can run a complete scan to remove database injections, backdoor scripts, and security threats
- It has a firewall to prevent malware to exploit your information for negative purposes
- The premium version checks the integrity of the files in your WordPress Core, runs a complete scan at the same time it downloads the latest updates, and patches your XMLRPC to block them from future attacks
People with more than one WordPress site can see how all of them can get infected once one is. For this reason, by a single download of the anti-malware, you can make sure all of your sites are protected without incurring an additional investment.
CleanTalk: The Ultimate WordPress Security Plugin
CleanTalk is a high-performance WordPress plugin, which scans, identifies, and removes known and unknown malware from your site. Read this CleanTalk review to find out all you need to know about the plugin. Install the CleanTalk today for a safe and protected website!
Features and Benefits
CleanTalk includes firewall software, which filters the access to your website by countries, networks, or IP address. The plugin includes a malware scanner, which features antivirus functions and runs daily scans. With CleanTalk you can stop attacks such as password hacks or forced WordPress account entries and limit allowed login attempts. The SQL injection scanner identifies and removes scripts, which are written for malware entry into your site’s database.
The plugin is fully automated and sends daily reports via email after performing audits on your site. Thanks to the streamlined interface, you can monitor the plugin’s activity on your site. Identify and fix your WordPress’ site vulnerabilities and prevent future hacks. Also, the 2-factor authentication feature improves login security levels.
Although CleanTalk is one of the top-rated security plugins available, it has a few drawbacks. Users have highlighted several problems, which they’ve encountered while using the plugin on their sites. For example, the license renewal notice should have better a warning or the plugin stays “alive” although it’s deactivated. Nevertheless, CleanTalk does an excellent job of protecting your WordPress website from online threats.
Who Is a Good Fit for this Plugin?
The plugin is suitable for both developers and website owners, who’re looking to achieve increased security levels on WordPress sites. Considering the accelerated rate of malware production worldwide, CleanTalk adds the required protection to your WordPress site.
Editor’s Pick for Best Malware Removal Plugin
All the above-reviewed plugins are best among all plugins available plugins in WordPress plugin repository. But, if we would have to pick the top among best, that would be the Wordfence Security.
Unfortunately, not a lot of people care about WordPress security until their site gets hacked or malware injected. The best possible solution for WordPress malware is to get protected on time and have a prevention plan. Take a look at our ongoing WordPress maintenance plans where we among many other benefits offer malware cleaning and preventive service with a guarantee.